Friday, July 19, 2013

Privileges

As a "White person" or mzungu in Kenya, we get a lot of privileges that most Kenyans do not and that we would not be afforded in the US. For instance, Ali, our peer from MN, had the chance to meet Mama Sara, Obama's grandmother, her first week here. When her friends asked her why she got to me her, she had no idea but the Red Cross had asked her to come along. I thought I would share some examples of this happening to Alyssa and I over the past 5 weeks:

1) The grocery store (any store, really): everyone has to put their bags in a cubby out front before entering the store. We get to take our backpacks, purses, bottles of water, food, etc in. They just wand us with a metal detector beforehand. This has even happened when we are with our Kenyan friends. They try to take their bags in and are stopped immediately and told they may not enter until they check their bag up front.

2) Hospital. Thus far, all 3 of us have gotten tested for Malaria. Ali was the only victim to this disease and had to pay for the treatment but none of us were asked to pay for the test. We also get our own room at Elgon View Medical Cottage (the clinic Dr. Amin owns) when we're not feeling well. All patients have to share a room but Alyssa and Ali got the entire labor ward (5 beds) to themselves one day.

3) Matatus (Ma-tat-too). Picture a run-down mini van with about 5 more seats crammed into the back and 20+ people in the entire vehicle. That's a matatu. They are common vehicles for transport in Kenya and will take you to the neighboring town or 9 hours away to Nairobi. They don't leave until they are jam-packed full and the conductor trys to tell you where to sit. For example, they wanted me to sit in the front and I told them, sternly, "No." The front seat is called the "Death Seat" and I was not about to try it out. They then allowed me to sit in the back, by the window, which is where I wanted to sit in the first place. We have also gotten away with paying for the empty seats so we can leave, instead of sitting there for another 1 hour+ waiting for matatu to fill up. Only wazungu do this, of course.

4) To go along with the hospital, we can basically walk into whatever business we want and someone will welcome us with open arms, give us a tour and any information we desire. I tried to imagine doing this in the US and realized I would be met with questioning glares, concerned voices and very cut-throat measures, usually involving setting up a meeting, filling out forms, etc. I enjoy the freedom of business in Kenya and am very grateful I am able to see and learn so much in this town and country. Everyone is willing to show you around and give you information, something I very much appreciate.

5) Meeting with important stakeholders. Yesterday, Alyssa and I were cordially invited to attend the County Health Sector Forum with important stakeholders from all the hospitals around Bungoma Country as well as a WHO employee, Steven, and the County Health Commissioner. It was an eye-opening, inspiring and educational experience as we learned about the deficits of health care services in Bungoma. We felt a little (okay VERY) out of place as we entered the room and were surrounded by suits and women dressed in their best. We were with very important people who were making very important decisions about the future of health care in their community and county. It was absolutely amazing to be an observer of the process and we thanked the County Health Commissioner about 20 times for letting us experience their meeting.

Furthermore, we learned a lot about the health care sector in Bungoma. In this conference and throughout the next 5-10 years, there are policy 6 objectives Bungoma County is focusing on, which include eliminating communicable diseases, minimize exposures to health risks and provide health investements. The stakeholders were divided into four groups and each group focused on 2 of the objectives. Alyssa and I sat in on group 4's discussion and here are some astonishing facts we learned:
1) Bungoma county has 2 out of their 11 hospitals that meet 75% of the requirements per the norms and standards of 2006. They are Bungoma District Hospital and Webuye Hospital. Keep in mind the hospitals they are discussing are public hospitals, funded by the government.
2) The hospitals are severely lacking health workers. For example, over 1,000 nurses are needed throughout Bungoma county, there are only 2 pharmacists per hospital but the target is 6 and ZERO of the four maternal/child health clinics are up to standards. Furthermore, many people are not utilizing the few available services because of distance and ability to pay.

This conference gave me an insight into the problems of the healthcare system and areas for intervention and improvement. I do not, by any means, have all the answers or comprehensively understand the infrastructure. I do believe that this meeting/conference is a vital step towards improving the health of Bungomans and all of Kenya. I don't even fully understand the US's healthcare system but I do know that if I am sick, there is a hospital that I can get to and will treat me regardless of my ability to pay. And with Obamacare, more Americans dream of free healthcare is becoming a reality. Sorry for the rambling but this is something I am passionate about and wanted to share with everyone back home! I feel very privileged for what I have and where I came from. And now I am setting out to help others receive important, vital and necessary health care.

No comments:

Post a Comment