Wednesday, July 10, 2013

4 weeks down, 4 to go

Apologies for my absence from blogging. I have been stressed, frustrated and a feeling a little under the weather to have the energy to type. Also, my internet hasn't been working the greatest. Despite these excuses, I am hoping to catch you all up with what has been happening the past few weeks. I realized on Monday that it was the beginning of my 4th week in Bungoma. With this week marking my halfway point here in Kenya I thought I would share a list of things I like about Kenya and what I miss about home.

Top Ten Things I Like About Kenya
1) Piki rides. These motorbikes will pick you up from any location and drop you off at your destination for a very reasonable fee. I love riding them on a hot day to feel the breeze on my face. They are also more manuverable on the road, as they can pass cars, matatus and buses. Our favorite piki driver is Geoffry. He always picks us up on time and always keeps us safe.

2) The Red Hat. This is the first restaurant I ate at in Bungoma and the current one I am sitting in, typing this. The owner, Hassan, has traveled the world but decided to settle down in Bungoma about 15 years ago to open a restaurant. The food is the best by far here and he has recently started making us chips and guac! It's also our favorite spot to use internet since it has plug in's and great service. 

3) Bananas and Pineapple. It is THE freshest fruit I have ever eaten and a bowl of the combination makes for a great breakfast and even a snack. You can buy one banana for 10 ksh, that is 8 cents in US dollars. We went white water rafting down the Nile last weekend (post to come soon) and we have freshly cut pineapple for lunch. We ate it off the rine and it was so filling!

4) The children's home. I fell in love with the children here the first week I visited. Nafula was from here and I have grown to meet more children as the weeks have gone on. This is also where I learned the game cobs punch. It is very sobering to witness so many children without parents and at the same time see how happy they are. I love giving the kids hugs and running around with them. They've recently started playing with my hair (which I love) and running down the dirt path when the see me. 

5) Interacting with Kenyans. Most of them are our co-workers/friends at the Red Cross and they love learning about our customs and culture. Especially card games. And "taking alcohol." We explained the drinking culture in America and they expressed how it was different here. For example, if a women is good at pool at a bar, she is believed to go out a lot which translates into being "loose", which is unaccepted here. We immediately asked if that is how we were viewed and they said, "No, it's different for Westerners." Thank goodness because I am getting really good at pool and it's fun to "take a Tusker" with co-workers after a stressful day. 

6) The Red Cross. This statement conjures a whirlwind of emotions in me. I absolutely love and believe that the the Kenya Red Cross- Bungoma Branch can do amazing things...and at the same time, the organization stresses me out to the max and frustrates me. It's like a relationship. You love the person, but sometimes you just want to strangle them. Part of the reason it is frustrating is because it is a volunteer organization. There is no incentive for people to arrive on time (or at all) and complete projects. And many times, it takes a week to do a task that could be completed in one day. Communication is also tough because not everyone has email so it is difficult to plan meetings and get everyone on the same page. On the other hand, a handful people that are working there are some of the most passionate people I've met and what they are trying to do for their country is inspiring. I love the mornings when everyone greets me, shakes my hand and genuinely cares about my well-being. The leaders really do care about serving humanity and making their country a better place. They are full of amazing ideas and very supportive of me working for them. Just being at the Red Cross office makes me happy and these people have become very near and dear to me. 

7) Walking to the Branch each morning. Besides the African children screaming "Mzungu! Mzungu! Mzungu!" a million plus times, the walk is relatively peaceful. It is a shaded asphalt path, lined with beautiful greenery and high rising trees, women selling roasted corn, bananas and other items; kids walking to school and neighbors conversing and laughing. It honestly makes my morning start off great and it's a nice 15 minute walk to work. 

8) Exchange rates. Also referred to as, "cheap." Although it flucuates daily, the exchange rate for 1 US dollar is about 85 Kenyan shillings. So to give you an idea, I pay about 50 Ksh for a 15 minute piki ride, 80 Ksh for an omelete and 1.20 Ksh for a beer. I'm definitely going to miss this when I come back and, hopefully, walk more rather than pay $20 for a cab ride. Also, bartering here is fantastic. Because we're White, a lot of sales people will up the price for us. I've gotten good at getting them down to my price and if they don't agree, I simply pretend I am walking away. This gets their attention as they chase after me and tell me I can have it for the original, and fair, price. 

9) Pool. I never enjoyed this game before I came to Bungoma. And now I play at least twice per week. Last night I hit in two balls in a row! There are pool tables at almost every bar and you can play as many times as you want. The cost is 30 Ksh, or 40 cents per game. If anyone wants to challenge me once I return, you will be my favorite person. 

10) Predictable weather. And weather in general. Hot (around 75-80 degrees), NOT humid, and sunny. All day, everyday. If it rains, it begins at around 6 PM and lasts til 8 PM. It's like clockwork and really nice to plan around. 

Top Ten Things I Miss About Home
1) Food!!! The food is good here, but eating the same thing, or close to the same thing, everyday has made me miss the variety of American food. Also, we can't cook for ourselves so we are limited in what we eat. Right now I am missing sandwhiches. Cold, Jimmy Johns sandwhiches. A beach club to be exact. Also, Mexican food. 

2) Running water. This statement speaks for itself. I will miss bucket showers but I am excited to wash my hands more often. 

3) Beer. Not bad but not good. I'm missing the flavor and higher alcohol content beers of the US. Also, variety of beer.

4) Fast internet. I've been trying to download The Bachelorette for about a week now. It says I have a strong internet connection butttttt it's lying. Also, unless you are at the right place, angle, altitude, etc. the internet that is supposed to work "Everywhere" does not. I realize I'm whining about this because I have the expectation that wireless internet should work, everyday, all the time, everywhere. I can handle bucket showers, being dirty, mosquitos, and lots of other things. I just really miss my fast internet. 

5) Being invisible. I love love love Kenyans. They are some of the nicest people and so happy. However, after 4 weeks here, walking out of my hut and getting treated like a celebrity is exhausting. Everyone wants to see you, talk/scream at you, touch you, take them to America, give them money, take a picture with you, etc. And when I say everyone, I mean people I don't work with/see on a daily basis. Except Bungoma is not a huge city so I'm pretty sure everyone has seen me. Therefore, I am very excited to walk down the street as a normal, Midwestern girl. We've also come to the conclusion that when kids yell at us, it is their job to alert the entire village that the wazungu (plural of mzungu) have arrived. 

6) My family, friends and Mervine. I can't wait to see everyone when I get home! And have my mom cook for me. 

7) Dr. Pepper. Fountain Dr. Pepper with ice. Actually, any drink cold with ice. Ice does not exist here and if it does, I haven't found it. 

8) Boneless chicken. Also, non existent in Bungoma. I had it once and that was because I asked the waitress if she could cut it off the bone and put it in my curry. Other than that, you get the leg, thigh, the whole shabang, stuck to the bone. 

9) My hairdryer. You can view this as me being a prissy girl but that's not my goal. I am perfectly content living without my hair tools but something about blown dry hair makes me feel good and makes my hair look like it didn't just go through a hurricane. I'm looking forward to that feeling when I return.

10) Iowa City and Minneapolis. I can't wait to visit all my friends when I return and spend time in my two favorite cities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment