Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Phrases

 This week is my last week in Bungoma. I'm both equally happy and sad. Happy that I get to travel a little around Kenya, go on a safari and head to Mombasa and surrounding beaches. Sad that I am leaving some amazing people and organization that has taught me so much and nudged its way into my heart. Today, I became a Life Member of the Kenya Red Cross Bungoma Branch. It involves a donation of $50 and then you are connected to the Branch for life through emails, phone calls and other means of updates about the activites taking place here in Bungoma. You also become an important stakeholder and have more credibility when it comes to decision making and idea generation. I'm really excited for this opportunity as I want and hope to stay connected to the Branch when I return to the US and for years to come. They already told me they will be sending me updates on future tournaments with the soccer equipment!

One of the aspects I will miss the most about Bungoma (and Kenya in general) are the phrases I've heard throughout my 6 weeks here. Some are inside jokes (sorry) but others I will try to explain.

"Hey guys, we need to switch buses. This one is kind of like...breaking down" -Joshua
This was our guide in Jinja. I really can't even explain it more. It was just really funny to hear the "kind of like...breaking down" part.

4 toasted toast
Can't even write this without cracking up. One morning, Pete, Ali, Alyssa and I made our way to our favorite breakfast spot in town to order our usual: four waters, COLD and spanish omeletes. This particular morning was a struggle with the wait staff as we told them in English AND Swahili that we would like 4, cold waters. 5 minutes later they come out with four plates with butter sandwhiches.
What/How/Why/Really?!?! The best part is "toast" does not exist here. So "toast"=one slice of bread and butter and "toasted toast"="two pieces of bread with butter in between. Eat/Laugh your heart out.


"Hilary? Do you have a mosquito net? (Yes, Ali) Okay, I just want to make sure you don't get gingivitis"- Ali 
Just so everyone knows, you can't get gingivitis via mosquitos. Only malaria. But thanks for being concerned, Al-pal :)

"So you're telling me that if a mosquito gets near me and sees this he will just, walk away?"- Ken
Most of our Kenya friends are absolutely stunned at the fact we can PREVENT mosquitoes from biting us. One day at the Branch, our sassy friend and income generating activities officer, Ken, asked Alyssa for some bug spray. She only had her Benedryl stick so he grabbed it and started rubbing it on his arm. Before she could explain that that was NOT bug spray, he said the quote above.


Alyssa- "Guys, it was totally like domestic violence" 
Ross- "Umm pretty sure you have to be married for that"
On Ali's last night a few of us went to our favorite hangout, Sharif Center, to play some pool. Apparently there was a bit of a brawl going on outside between some guy and girl and the above conversation happened.

"Sure!"-Maurine
This one I am going to miss the most. Maurine is my best, girl friend here. She's in charge of the health sector at the Kenya Red Cross and the nurse that accompanies Alyssa and I on our hospital visits. She's also become a near and dear friend. I will miss her and her "Sure!" greatly.

The below phrases are said by numerous people so I will just try to explain their meaning.

"You've been lost": This means I haven't been around the Branch, hospital, Bungoma, restaurant, etc in awhile. They literally think you are "lost" until you return and then you are "found."

"It's okay": Hey Mark, is it okay if we deliver the certificates tomorrow? Mark- "It's okay"
                    I would like a Spanish Omelete. Do you have that? Waitress- "It's okay"
                  
The three Americans and Mark after the soccer tournament. I'm going to miss Mark and all of his "Mark-isms"

"How is you?!" EVERYONE. Children, piki drivers, women in their shops, people on the street, at restaurants, etc. I've tried to teach them it's "How ARE you?" but I'm pretty sure they just enjoy yelling at the mzungu.

No comments:

Post a Comment