Monday, August 5, 2013

Nairobi/Mombasa

I know a lot of you are/were waiting on another post from me so, sadly, this is going to be one of my last ones from Kenya. I plan on writing a reflective post when I return to the US, or in the airport if I get bored. After an amazing dinner with Dr. Amin, Dr. Jamila (his wife), Mark, Maurine, Philip, and Even, Alyssa and I packed our bags and headed to Nairobi on Saturday, July 27th. We stayed at an adorable bed and breakfast just outside of downtown. It had a rooftop bar/restaurant with incredible views of the city. And of course, I forgot to take a picture. I will let the pictures below tell most of the story of our time in Nairobi but I definitely have a new found appreciation for the city. It's infamously labeled "Nai-robbery," but we had zero troubles and always kept our belongings close to us.

Alyssa and I at "The Java House," a coffee shop in Nairobi that sells real Kenyan coffee (i.e. not instant coffee). It was delicious and we went back at least four more times. 


Downtown Nairobi

On top of the KICC (Kenya International Conference Center) tower overlooking Nairobi. The building behind me is the tallest in the city. 


From another side of the tower. Behind me is Uhuru Park.


Avril and I attempting a jumping picture. Avril is Mervine's cousin and she met me on Monday to show me around the city, hang out and eat pizza! It's the first time I had pizza in 8 weeks and it was delicious. She's studying in Sweden but was back in Nairobi for her summer break.  

Ngeri, Me, Liz and Avril. Ngeri and Liz are cousins and friends with Avril. I love these girls so much and had a great time with them. 

On Saturday morning we took a 45 minute flight from Nairobi to Mombasa. Mombasa is the 2nd largest city in Kenya with a population of about 1 million. Located on the East Coast of Kenya (on the Indian Ocean), it was an important trading center and has been controlled by many countries due to its prime location. More importantly, it's Mervine's childhood home. 
Fort Jesus, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This fort was built in 1593 by the Portuguese and was taken over by the Arabs in the 1700s. Mombasa has a lot of Arab influence. 

On Sunday, I met up with Miriam (Mervine's cousin), her son, Ryan and the three girls from Nairobi (Liz, Ngeri and Avril). They showed me around the city of Mombasa, took me out for lunch and then I went over to Mervine's Uncle Wilson's and Aunt Deliah's house for dinner. It was such an amazing day, despite the rain. I'm so thrilled I got to meet them and spend time in their city!
The Tusks. A symbol of Mombasa that represent the entrance to the heart of the city. They were built to commerate Queen Elizabeth's vist to the city in 1952. Coinciedently, they spell a "M" for Mombasa. 

Ryan accidently broke one of his sandals after lunch so Avril carried him to the shoe store. 

Who I got to hang out with all day :) After the inital shock of a mzungu walking around with his family all day, he warmed up to me and wouldn't leave my side. 



The girls, Ryan and I on Mama Ngina drive. It runs along the coast and there are many street vendors selling food and trinkets. 
My mouth-watering, delicious lunch at Tamarind restauraunt. It sits right on the coast and serves up the most delicious seafood. I got the risotto with lobster, crab, praws, and octopus. Thanks again for the recommendation, Danish!

View of Mombasa from Tamarind. 

Currently, I am sitting at Driftwood Villas in Malindi (a town about 2 hours north of Mombasa). I am spending the next 2 days here, on the beach, before heading back to Mombasa, flying to Nairobi and then flying home. It's a bittersweet feeling as I feel like I could return to Bungoma after my vacation along the coast. I am excited to come home and see my family and friends but I will miss Kenya dearly.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing, stereotype breaking 101, so nice to see a positive side to Africa etc. You enjoy all your continued travels, GO GRL FORCE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I hope to go, looks fun!

    ReplyDelete